-->
no
no

DIY Spooky Umbrella for Halloween

7 comments




So, I've been making something for our first proper Halloween trick or treating in our neighbourhood.  Not sure what to expect but I hope we don't overdose on sugar and chocolates! :-D
I decided to use this kiddy umbrella that was a hand-me-down from our next-door neighbour. It has Tigger, Piglet and Pooh Bear on it, but my son won't have anything to do with it now - "That's for girls, mummy!", plus one of the spokes has gone bust.



This is going to be our spooky umbrella!
I snipped away at the thread joining the umbrella fabric to the spokes.





Tried to fix the bust spoke but decided to go with a wonky umbrella in the end :-) 


Everything is off - after Halloween I might use this to
hang some of my laundry - towels, socks maybe?


Save the material from the umbrella for another project.
Get out the newspaper! I actually wanted old and black + white papers for a vintage-like effect but our newspapers are too colourful!! Oh well!


Cut up the newspaper and stick it onto the umbrella with craft glue - you might want to use the original umbrella material as a guide when cutting out the newspaper.

Burnt paper - please be careful!

OK, it got rather dangerous here.  I did this over the bath tub with a pail of water on hand just in case things got too exciting.  I used a lit candle to burn the edges and make holes.  Don't let your children do this, and make sure they're not around you. Remember newspaper burns very quickly so make sure you are ready to put it out immediately! 

When everything is dry, get an embroidery needle and black thread / yarn and sew cob webs onto the paper.  It doesn't have to be neat either (who said spiders are neat?) - you can let the yarn run all over the place.   


Here's my spooky umbrella! :-)  I think I'll be wearing a black skirt and white shirt, and match it with my refashioned shoes.


The umbrella fabric went on the become a backpack cover for my son.  Tutorial here!
author profile image
Abdelghafour

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book.

7 comments

  1. LOL.... your kid's not into cutesy kind of cartoons huh? The spooky umbrella is way cool!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son's going as Sponge Bob, but I'm going to carry the umbrella :-)

      Delete
  2. that's really cool! are we going to get to see a picture of you with it and your shoes? :) lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. i already commented on this as you can see above, but now that i'm looking at it again i have a question: how did you manage to get the fabric off without cutting a hole in the center? i see you wrote "snip" where the top point is, but in the pictures of the umbrella fabric, you can't see any hole! are you a magician? ;) lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Yes, there was a hole in the centre so I sewed a button to cover up the hole. If you look at the 3rd picture (of the DIY backpack post), there's some material jutting out from the centre. That's where the hole is. Hope that helps :-)

      Have a nice wkend :-)

      Delete

no
no